AVMM are hosting a free and open taster session for anyone wanting to learn about Morris dances from the village of Adderbury – and to have a go! The taster session will be on:
Saturday 20 February 2016 at the Adderbury Village Institute from 10am until 12noon.
Some facts about Morris dancing in Adderbury:
- Many villages in Oxfordshire during the 19th century had their own Morris side;
- Morris dances from Adderbury are performed around the world, including in Australia and the USA;
- Streets in Adderbury Fields (off Milton Road) are named after three Morris dancers who died in the First World War;
- AVMM were the subject of an acclaimed filmÂ documentary entitled ‘Way of the Morris’
- AVMM only perform dances collected in the village by Janet Blunt who used to live in Le Hall Place, Manor Road
- The annual day of dance attracts visitors from all over the country.
AVMM recruits from Adderbury and surrounding villages and is looking for new members to carry on the tradition – do please join us if you can at the Taster session on 20 February! For further information, please contact John Ekers (01869 811741)